Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Serenata


Brasil is a warm country. I dont just mean the climate but the people and culture as well. I have experiences here that I could never imagine happening in the more frigid west. This is particularly true, in my experience, of the north east of the country. In Salvador complete strangers would chat to one another on the bus, sometimes the whole bus involved in the same conversation. Those sitting would carry items for those without a seat. People whistle and sing in the street and are genuinely helpful, even when confronted by awful portuguese, such as mine. It might also be the seemingly endless blue skies and green seas, but it is impossible to be in a bad mood for long when interacting with these charming and energetic people.

Other moments leave me with a feeling of deep admiration and respect for this joyous culture. Recently I participated in a Serenata in the town of Olinda. Every friday night a dozen musicians gather on the steps of a church in the center of this heritage listed neighbourhood outside the city of Recife. For many years they have brought their intruments here to play local forro music and slowly stroll through the streets. A crowd gathers to follow and sing along and beer vendors bring up the rear. The music is relaxing, easy listening, beautiful as it swells with the contribution of the 60 strong crowd, loud in the hot night. It is a sight that made my heart feel full - locals and tourists, all now friends, meandering up the cobblestone hills and raising their voices in a joyful expression of this rich culture.

1 comment:

Lozza said...

Just beautiful Jonesy. The words you write filled my mind with endless images.... I want in on a piece of that.

L x