Friday, March 6, 2009

To pack or not to pack...

When discussing my impending travels with various people I was told that I definitely needed a 65 litre pack filled with everything from rain gear to hiking gear to medicines and antibiotics that I certainly wouldn´t find in South America.

Contrary to most advice I left the country with a 40 litre pack weighing in at 10.5 kilos. After a week on the road I have found myself wanting of nothing, and surprisingly there are shops where I can top up supplies as I need them (a rain jacket is first on the list).

My luxury items include; a shower cap, to prevent unwanted frizziness of hair due to steamy showers; a small travel guitar, perfect for rainy days in and a great conversation starter; jeans, not the most practical as they´re harder to wash and dry but an essential for me regardless.

Most useful items so far; my watch, a chunky casio, waterproof, alarm clock and with the day and date, perfect when time seems to bend during travel; croc shoes, great grip on slippy slidewalks, mud resistant and can pass as going out shoes; my toiletries bag, it can hang from hooks in the bathroom providing complete access to everything.

So another day in Buenos Aires beckons with its tango and steak and local porteƱo attitude. This is a beautiful city, packed with people and pastries and a universal love of dulce de leche, a caramel like sweet that is eaten with everything.

Everything happens in the street; from political activism to markets, tango to live music, even verging on obscene displays of affection between couples. Brazilian percussionists busk on the subway, orchestras appear on the sidewalk and street art abounds.

This city is sexy. There is a lot of money around (amongst a lucky few), the people are elegant and passionate. The traffic is aggressive and fast, the numerous parks manicured and relaxing. The architecture is grand, the subway hot, the food impressive. There is a lot to like in Buenos Aires and a lot to do.

Check me out at the hostel here (a real home from home). The brunette in front is Canadian Emily who I will travel with for a while.

2 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Julia said...

I'm with you, I've never regretted NOT taking anything, I've only ever regretted taking stuff cause it makes me miserble to carry it around. I think I traveled on 12 kgs for a year, which I thought was pretty good, 10 is very impressive!